Last night’s dinner was simply delicious, maybe one of my favorite ever. As I thought
Making a Great Finishing Sauce
Nothing ties a great meal together like Gourmet Finishing Sauces. Painstakingly crafted, nurtured for hours to deliver layers of rich flavor, finishing sauces elevate everything on your plate. Their complex depth complements meats, fish, vegetables and grains alike. And, never fails to earn compliments. Admittedly a labor of love, here’s our recipe for creating Green Peppercorn Sauce everyone at your table will love.
- Dice 1 small shallot.
- Dice 2 – 3 garlic cloves.
- Add both to sauté pan with 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Sauté on low until shallot is translucent, stirring frequently to avoid browning which can produce a bitter taste. Start over if the garlic browns.
- Deglaze with 2 ounces of cognac.
- Add 1 cup homemade organic beef stock (not beef broth or beef “flavored” stock)
- Add 1 tablespoon of great Dijon mustard, stir. I like to use the Maille brand.
- Simmer over low heat until beef stock is reduced by ½. Approximately 20 min.
- Add 1 cup heavy cream, simmer and reduce by ½. Approximately 20 min.
- With a mortar & pestle, partially crush 2 -3 tablespoons of green peppercorns. Note, green peppercorns are more subtle than black peppercorns. If we used black and crushed them more completely, the sauce would be closer to an Au Poive.
- Add to sauce and simmer 5 minutes until pepper releases it subtle bite.
- Salt to taste (about a pinch +)
- The sauce is best on a steak, I think, but is also great on pork or rotisserie or grilled chicken. Great pairing include a green vegetable, mushrooms,
- Serve over everything on the plate as a drizzle leaving a small surplus somewhere on the plate because you will want to drag something through it.
MAY WE SUGGEST A DELICIOUSLY EASY ALTERNATIVE?
Le Sauce & Company has created a small-batch collection of gourmet finishing sauces that makes it easy to transform everyday meals into memorable food experiences. In minutes, you can serve chef-inspired dishes that surprise and delight with every bite.
Every bottle represents hours of handcrafted preparation, taste testing and refinement to bring you the very finest, certified organic, finishing sauces.